If you’re making a big bone-in ham for the holidays this year, don’t throw away the leftover ham bone once all the meat’s been cut off. It’s a key ingredient in this soup that adds instant flavor with minimal effort! Here I added some vegetables, potatoes and cabbage, there are no beans but you can add some if you wish. So delicious and easy to make!
I made a slow cooker ham the other day and saved the bone just to make soup. Freeze the bone if you don’t plan on using it right away. You can make this on the stove in a big soup pot, Dutch oven or Instant Pot as I did here to save time. This would also be great in the slow cooker.
For more leftover ham recipes you might like:
Leftover Ham Bone Soup with Potatoes and Cabbage
If you’re making a big bone-in ham for the holidays this year, don’t throw away the leftover ham bone once all the meat’s been cut off. It’s a key ingredient in this soup that adds instant flavor with minimal effort!
- cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 cups (1 carton) less sodium chicken broth
- 10 ounces (2 medium) yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 1 leftover ham bone
- 5 ounces chopped leftover ham
- 1 small head cabbage, cored and chopped (13 oz)
- Assuming your electric pressure cooker has a saute option, press the saute button and spray with oil, add the onions, celery, and garlic and saute, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, carrots, 1 1/2 cups water, potatoes, ham bone and ham and cook high pressure 20 minutes.
- Let the steam release naturally. Add the cabbage and cook 5 minutes high pressure. Natural or quick release.
To cook on the stove top:
- Follow the same directions as above in a large pot or Dutch oven, cook covered low 1 hour adding the cabbage during the last 10 to 15 minutes. Cook until the cabbage and vegetables are tender.
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 2
- Points +: 3
- Calories: 124
- Total Fat: 2.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 22mg
- Sodium: 437mg
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Sugar: 4.5g
- Protein: 10.5g