Doenjang-jjigae (fermented soybean paste stew) is a hearty, scrumptious, heat, and comforting on a regular basis stew that Koreans by no means get uninterested in. We’ve so many variations that we will fortunately and comfortably eat it a number of instances (or extra usually) per week with rice and kimchi and revel in it each time.
I’ve launched doenjang-jjigae on my web site earlier than, my longtime favourite recipe cooked with shrimp, anchovy inventory, and greens, and likewise a model with scallops. However we will additionally make it with beef as a substitute of seafood, ideally a bit of fatty, marbled reduce that can give the broth a wealthy taste and means that you can miss the cooking oil.
Chances are you’ll be tempted to be beneficiant and cargo the stew with extra components, however including 4 ounces of every, as I do on this recipe, will make for a well-proportioned stew with loads of broth.
Benefit from the recipe!
typical Korean breakfast
- 4 ounces any cuts of beef (or floor beef), reduce very thinly
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces potato, peeled and reduce into ½-inch cube
- 4 ounces onion, reduce into ½-inch cube
- 4 ounces zucchini, reduce into ½-inch cube
- ¼ cup doenjang (Korean fermented soybean paste)
- 4 ounces medium-firm tofu, reduce into ½-inch items
- 1 inexperienced chili pepper or jalapeño, sliced
- 1 inexperienced onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon gochu-garu (Korean sizzling pepper flakes; non-compulsory)
- Place a heavy, medium sized pot over medium warmth. When it’s sizzling, add the vegetable oil, beef, and garlic. Prepare dinner, stirring, for a couple of minutes, till the meat is not pink. Add 2 cups water.
- Cowl and prepare dinner for 10 minutes over medium warmth. If it begins to boil over, crack the lid.
- Add the potato, onion, zucchini, and doenjang.
- Cowl and prepare dinner for an additional 10 minutes. Stir the stew to guarantee that the soybean paste is evenly integrated.
- Add the tofu, inexperienced chili pepper, inexperienced onion, and gochu-garu (if used).
- Cowl and prepare dinner for about 5 minutes, till the tofu softens and the stew is effervescent. Serve straight away with rice, kimchi, and extra facet dishes.
- You may refrigerate the stew for as much as 3 days. If you need to have some, reheat gently on high of the range.