Aloo Kulcha is a leavened Indian flatbread with a smooth and crispy texture, filled with spiced mashed potatoes. Aloo Kulcha recipe is from the Punjabi delicacies and highly regarded in Delhi in addition to some components of North India. Historically, Aloo Kulcha is cooked in a tandoor or clay oven. However you possibly can simply cook dinner it on a skillet (tawa). Whereas cooking, it’s usually brushed with ghee or butter and eventually savored with sturdy Indian curries. Chole or spicy chickpea curry with Kulcha is the quintessential mixture within the Indian meals scene.
What’s Aloo Kulcha
In Hindi, the time period Aloo stands for potatoes and Kulcha is an leavened flatbread comprised of all-purpose flour. Merely put collectively the phrases Aloo Kulcha imply a leavened smooth flatbread filled with a savory and spiced mashed potato filling.
For the reason that day I attempted the fab aloo kulcha served at a close-by Punjabi dhaba (roadside eatery), I’ve been a fan of it. One chunk and I obtained so impressed that I wished to attempt the Aloo Kulcha recipe at residence.
This recipe is thus a results of that. The bottom kulcha and potato stuffing recipes on this have been tailored from my household recipe of Aloo Paratha.
Do observe that each Aloo Kulcha and Aloo Paratha are completely different recipes. Aloo Kulcha is made with leavened all-purpose flour dough and Aloo Paratha is made with unleavened complete wheat flour dough. So the style and texture is completely different and never the identical.
There are lots of variations to the unique plain Kulcha recipe as nicely. Right here, you could find some variations like:
Typically, the restaurant and dhabas have an Aloo Kulcha recipe which has refined or all-purpose flour (maida). However I’ve added each complete wheat flour (atta) and all-purpose flour in equal portions.
For those who plan to make use of solely complete wheat flour, then you definitely’ll find yourself having a texture and style much like that of an aloo paratha. The spice within the potato stuffing could be adjusted in keeping with your style. You possibly can add some inexperienced chilies for a spicier model of this Aloo Kulcha recipe.
How one can make Aloo Kulcha
1. In a mixing bowl take the next listed substances:
- 1 cup complete wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon salt or as required
2. Add 2 tablespoons recent yogurt (curd) and three teaspoons of oil. Use any impartial and flavorless oil.
3. Frivolously combine all the pieces with a spoon or together with your fingers.
4. Add water. I added ⅔ cup water in components, you possibly can add from ½ to ⅔ cup water.
Understand that the amount of water you must add will rely on the standard and texture of the flours. So, add as wanted to make a smooth and pliable dough.
5. Combine after which start to knead.
6. Knead to a easy, pliable and smooth dough.
7. Cowl the dough and hold apart for two hours ( I saved for 1 hour and 48 minutes).
Make Potato Stuffing
8. In the meantime, steam or boil 4 to five potatoes (about 300 to 350 grams) until they’re cooked by way of fully.
You possibly can boil the potatoes including water as wanted in a pan on the stove-top, immediate pot or a stove-top strain cooker. It’s also possible to peel and cube the potatoes and steam them in a steamer pan.
9. Peel and mash the potatoes with a potato masher.
10. Add the next spices and herbs:
- 1 teaspoon chopped inexperienced chilies
- ½ teaspoon purple chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried mango powder (amchur powder)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
11. Combine the spices and herbs within the mashed potatoes very nicely. Verify the style and add extra of the salt, inexperienced chilies and dried mango powder if required.
12. After resting the dough for 2 hours, evenly knead the dough once more.
Assemble and Stuff Aloo Kulcha
13. Make medium sized balls from the dough.
14. Sprinkle some complete wheat flour on the rolling board and on the dough ball.
15. With a rolling pin, roll it right into a disc or circle of 5 to six inches diameter.
16. Place some potato stuffing within the middle, hold 1 to 1.5 inches area all around the circumference.
17. Deliver the perimeters collectively and pinch them to affix on the middle.
18. Press the joined edges and sprinkle some sesame seeds on it. Press the sesame seeds together with your fingers or very evenly with the rolling pin in order that they persist with the dough.
Including sesame seeds is non-compulsory. I made the aloo kulcha, each with and with out sesame seeds.
19. Sprinkle some flour.
20. Flip over and sprinkle some sesame seeds right here too. Sprinkle a little bit of flour once more. That is an non-compulsory step.
21. Gently roll out to a big disc of about 7 to eight inches in diameter dusting with flour as wanted.
Prepare dinner Aloo Kulcha on Tawa
22. On a scorching tawa or skillet, gently place the stuffed kulcha. Hold the warmth to medium-high or excessive.
23. Flip the aloo kulcha with a spatula when one facet is partially cooked. You will note faint golden spots on this evenly cooked facet.
24. Unfold some ghee (clarified butter) or oil on this facet. The quantity of ghee or oil to be added, relies upon upon you. You possibly can both add much less or extra or skip it as nicely.
25. Flip once more.
26. Now unfold some ghee or oil on this facet too.
27. Flip once more and you will notice each the perimeters with brown or golden spots.
28. Press the perimeters with a spatula to make sure that they’re cooked.
29. Flip a few times to make sure even roasting and cooking.
30. Here’s a cooked Aloo Kulcha with out sesame seeds.
31. Place the aloo kulcha in a roti basket.
32. Add ½ to 1 teaspoon of butter and unfold it with a butter knife or spoon. Put together all of the kulcha and stack them up this fashion. I assemble, roll the kulcha and roast them concurrently.
33. After making every kulcha, wipe the tawa with a cotton kitchen towel to eliminate the browned or burnt flour particles.
34. It’s also possible to serve Aloo Kulcha straightaway from the skillet or pan to the plate. Serve these scorching or heat with butter, curd, mango pickle, inexperienced peas curry or chana masala.
How one can serve Aloo Kulcha
For serving, I selected to pair my Aloo Kulcha with recent do-it-yourself yogurt (curd). Different accompaniments that basically go nicely with this kulcha are clearly Peshawari Chole, Dal Makhani, Dal Bukhara or simply mango pickle.
However don’t be stunned when you discover your family members having this Aloo Kulcha all by itself. It’s so tasty that you just don’t actually need something with it! This smooth Aloo Kulcha can be good to your child’s tiffin field. You’ll know this when they are going to return with empty containers!
- Whereas making the dough, the quantity of water to be added will depend on the standard of the flours. So, add accordingly. You might want to make a easy, smooth and pliable dough.
- To arrange the potatoes for stuffing, you possibly can cook dinner the potatoes in a steamer or strain cooker or immediate pot. To mash the peeled potatoes, you need to use a fork too. Be sure that to mash the potatoes rather well.
- You possibly can choose to substitute baking soda within the recipe by swapping it with ¼ to ½ teaspoon baking powder.
- Within the potato stuffing, substitutes for dried mango powder (amchur powder) are dried pomegranate seeds powder (anardana powder), lime juice or chaat masala. You possibly can add about ½ to 1 teaspoon of dried pomegranate seeds powder or ½ teaspoon chaat masala powder. Lime juice could be added as per your style. There ought to be only a faint bitter style or tang within the stuffing.
- Be sure that to wipe the tawa with a cotton kitchen towel after making every kulcha. This helps eliminating burnt flour particles.
- It is a vegetarian recipe. However you possibly can even make it vegan by skipping the yogurt or utilizing a plant-based yogurts like almond or cashew yogurt, and roasting the kulcha in oil as a substitute of ghee.
Sure, these could be ready and refrigerated to retailer in a single day. Be sure that to retailer in an hermetic metal field. Unfold some oil on high of the dough.
Sure, you need to use fruit salt (Eno) as a substitute of baking soda and complete wheat flour (atta) rather than all-purpose flour (maida).
Baking soda is used on this recipe as a result of it helps in leavening.
Guarantee that the potatoes are mashed nicely and you aren’t overstuffing the kulcha. Whereas rolling, be sure to roll into thick to medium-thick discs. If these are skinny, then the stuffing tends to return out.
Paratha is an unleavened flatbread and kulcha is a leavened flatbread. Historically, kulcha are made in a tandoor or clay oven and baked plain kulcha with none stuffing could be saved for a lot of days.
Aloo Kulcha is a crisp and smooth leavened flatbread filled with a spiced mashed potato filling. The dish is from the North Indian delicacies and may be very widespread in Delhi in addition to Punjab.
Prep Time 40 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 30 minutes
Dough Resting Time 2 hrs
Complete Time 3 hrs 10 minutes
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
In a mixing bowl take complete wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, 1 teaspoon sugar and ¾ to 1 teaspoon salt or as required.
Add curd (yogurt) and oil.
Frivolously combine all the pieces with a spoon or together with your fingers.
Add water. I added ⅔ cup of water in components. The quantity of water to be added will depend on the standard of the flours. So, add accordingly.
Combine after which start to knead.
Knead to a easy, pliable and smooth dough. Cowl the dough and hold apart for two hours.
Making potato stuffing
In the meantime, steam or boil the potatoes till they’re cooked by way of fully. You possibly can cook dinner the potatoes in a steamer or strain cooker or within the immediate pot.
Peel and mash the potatoes with a potato masher. It’s also possible to use a fork to mash the potatoes or grate them first and mash later.
Add the chopped inexperienced chilies, purple chili powder, dried mango powder, garam masala powder and coriander leaves.
Combine the spices and herbs within the mashed potatoes very nicely. Verify the style and add extra of the salt, inexperienced chilies and dried mango powder if required.
Assembling and rolling aloo kulcha
After two hours evenly knead the dough once more.
Make medium sized balls from the kulcha dough.
Sprinkle some complete wheat flour on the rolling board and on the dough ball.
With a rolling pin, roll it right into a disc or circle of 5 to six inches diameter.
Place some potato stuffing within the middle, hold 1 inch area all around the circumference.
Deliver the perimeters collectively and pinch to affix them on the middle.
Press the joined edges and sprinkle some sesame seeds on high. Press the sesame seeds together with your fingers or very evenly with the rolling pin in order that they persist with the dough.
Sprinkle some flour. Including sesame seeds is non-compulsory. You possibly can skip them.
Gently roll to a big disc of about 7 to eight inches in diameter.
Cooking aloo kulcha
On a scorching tawa or skillet, gently place the stuffed kulcha. Hold warmth to medium-high or excessive.
Flip over when one facet is partially cooked. You’ll mild golden spots on this facet. Additionally, unfold some ghee or oil on this facet.
The quantity of ghee or oil to be added, will depend on you. You possibly can both add much less or extra or skip it too.
Flip once more and now unfold some ghee or oil on the second facet. The second facet can be barely extra cooked than the primary facet.
Press the kulcha edges with a spatula to make sure that they’re cooked nicely with crispy golden spots on each the perimeters.
Flip a few times to make sure even roasting and cooking.
Place the kulcha in a roti basket.
Add ½ to 1 teaspoon of softened butter and unfold it with a butter knife or spoon. Put together all of the aloo kulchas with the above technique and stack them up within the roti basket.
After making every aloo kulcha, wipe the tawa with a cotton kitchen towel to eliminate the browned or burnt flour particles.
It’s also possible to serve kulcha straightaway from the skillet to the plate. Serve these scorching or heat with butter, curd, mango pickle, grean peas curry or chana masala.
- Baking soda – Use ¼ to ½ teaspoon baking powder as a substitute.
- Dry mango powder: Swap with dry pomegranate seeds powder (anardana powder), lime juice or chaat masala. You possibly can add about ½ to 1 teaspoon of dried pomegranate seeds powder. Lime juice could be added as per your style. There ought to be only a mild bitter style or tang within the potato stuffing.
Quantity Per Serving
Energy from Fats 153
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2g13%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 13g
Ldl cholesterol 1mg0%
Vitamin A 52IU1%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 2mg10%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin C 14mg17%
Vitamin D 1µg7%
Vitamin E 7mg47%
Vitamin Okay 3µg3%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 48µg12%
* % Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food plan.
This aloo kulcha put up from the weblog archives first printed in January 2015 has been republished and up to date on 15 February 2022.