Not noodles WITH meatballs, however noodles IN meatballs. If you have not tried it, get able to be blown away! Thai individuals love placing glass noodles in meatballs to provide it texture, lightness, and a few crispiness on the outside (no have to mess with breading!).
These pork meatballs are so tasty, simple and kid-friendly. For the adults, I like to recommend some candy chili sauce to take it up a notch. They make the right social gathering appetizers and will be prepped forward of time. They will additionally accommodate a number of modifications as mentioned in the FAQs under.
You should definitely watch the complete video tutorial earlier than you begin to make sure success, as I typically embrace extra suggestions you would possibly discover helpful.
A favorite of Thai kids in all places
This dish in Thai is named “moo tod woonsen” which suggests “glass noodles fried pork”. It is a in style dish for teenagers in Thailand, and is usually served in class cafeterias as a result of it is a satisfying merchandise that is not spicy. (And in addition…what child does not love meatballs?!)
A plain model with out glass noodles additionally exists, however I choose these due to the added texture and crispiness – and in addition as a result of these are more economical!
Why add noodles to meatballs?
If including noodles to meatballs is an unfamiliar idea to you, let me persuade you as to why it is a terrific concept. Glass noodles do a number of issues in meatballs:
1) They lighten the meat combination. So you’ll be able to truly snack on a bunch of those with out feeling immediately full.
2) When fried, the noodles on the outside turn out to be crispy. No have to mess with panko or some other breading.
3) They add a enjoyable texture, particularly while you first chew the meatballs! You’ll be able to really feel them pull and tear, no surprise youngsters love them!
4) It is a good way to scale back price! The noodles assist lengthen the meat with out introducing any new flavours.
5) They scale back the variety of energy per meatball…not that this is able to make them “low calorie” by any stretch of the creativeness!
However why glass noodles?
In case you’re fascinated by substituting different noodles, maintain up. There is a purpose – many causes truly – we solely use glass noodles for mixing with meat as a substitute of rice or wheat/egg noodles.
1. Glass noodles have a totally impartial flavour.
So they won’t impart any flavour of their ow,n and are solely there to serve the needs above. If it weren’t for the feel, you would not even know they have been there.
2. They cook dinner completely contained in the meatballs.
That is in all probability a very powerful purpose: glass noodles can merely be added uncooked (however rehydrated), and they’ll cook dinner completely because the meatballs cook dinner. Additionally they don’t overcook simply, making them primarily foolproof. Including rice or wheat noodles wouldn’t be almost this simple.
3. They preserve the “meaty chew”.
You would possibly assume that is much like including breadcrumbs to meatloaf or meatballs, nevertheless it’s truly fairly totally different. Whenever you add breadcrumbs, they “merge” into the meat and trigger the combination to turn out to be softer and have a finer texture. Glass noodles alternatively stay separated from the meat, and so the meat retains its satisfying meaty chew.
4. They’re extraordinarily resilient.
You would need to work actually exhausting to interrupt glass noodles, even when rehydrated. So you’ll be able to combine it in and knead as a lot as your coronary heart needs, and they’ll nonetheless stay intact.
Components You may Want
Listed below are all of the substances you will want. See the FAQ for some substitutions info.
Here is a chicken’s eye view of the method, however make sure you take a look at the full video tutorial within the recipe card under to make sure success!
Professional Tip: Prepping Noodle Meatballs in Advance
These make nice social gathering appetizers! And there are numerous methods you’ll be able to prep these forward of time:
– The meat combination will be made 1 day upfront and stored within the fridge. It’s also possible to type it into balls forward of time and preserve all of them on one layer so they do not get squished.
– Prepare dinner them up a number of days upfront. Although the crispy texture is finest when freshly fried, should you’re brief on time on serving day you’ll be able to rapidly reheat cooked meatballs in a 350°F (175°C) oven for about 5-8 minutes – relying on their dimension and the way chilly they have been to start with.
– For long run storage, you’ll be able to freeze cooked meatballs for a number of months and reheat them in a 350°F (175°C) oven. It will in all probability take 12-Quarter-hour, however I’ve not tried it myself (but).
Incessantly Requested Questions
You can pan fry these: make them into patties, and add sufficient oil to the skillet in order that it comes up on the patties by not less than 1 / 4 inch. You want sufficient oil to get the glass noodles crispy. However for what it is value, I discover deep frying a lot simpler and faster as you do not have to are likely to the person items and flipping them and so on.
I’ve not tried baking, however my inclination is that the glass noodles on the outside is not going to crisp up as effectively – and as a substitute of being crispy, they might find yourself being chewy.
Air-frying ought to work higher than baking, however once more the query is whether or not the air-frying can get the noodles on the outside crispy sufficient. It is value a strive, however I’d strive a small quantity first!
Use gluten free soy sauce and oyster sauce, as these are the one gluten-containing substances on this dish. It’s also possible to substitute half a tablespoon of fish sauce for the oyster sauce.
Sure! Hen or turkey ought to work effectively, although I’d strongly advise utilizing darkish meat because it has sufficient fats in it to maintain the meatballs juicy moderately than dry. Floor beef may additionally work, albeit it is going to have a stronger flavour.
Consider it or not I’ve had a Patreon member do this utilizing Past Beef, and reported that although the feel was a bit mushy for his style, it tasted good. So, one thing so that you can strive!
No. See extra on this within the put up above.
Sure. Potato starch, tapioca starch, or all goal flour will work. You will need to add SOME starch as a result of it helps take up the meat juices so they won’t leak into the oil when fried; maintaining the meat juicy and maintaining your oil clear and longer-lasting. A little bit of starch additionally helps make the meat combination agency sufficient to type simply. *If utilizing all-purpose flour use 1 ½ Tbsp to begin, then add extra provided that the meat is simply too delicate to type.
Like this recipe? You’d additionally love these!
Earlier than you begin, make sure you watch the video tutorial to make sure success! I all the time embrace little suggestions and methods not talked about within the weblog put up. The video is within the recipe card under, however you may also watch it on YouTube.
Crispy Meatballs with Glass Noodles & Candy Chili Sauce
- Floor hen or turkey will be substituted, however be certain that it’s comprised of darkish meat with sufficient fats in it, in any other case it will be too lean and dry. Floor beef may also be used.
- Further giant eggs would possibly make the meat combination too moist, which suggests you may need so as to add somewhat extra cornstarch to maintain the combination agency sufficient to type into balls.
- You’ll be able to substitute equal quantities of potato starch or tapioca starch. To sub all-purpose flour, use 1 ½ Tbsp to begin and add extra provided that the pork is simply too delicate to type into balls.
FULL VIDEO TUTORIAL
All my recipes include step-by-step video tutorials with additional suggestions not talked about within the weblog put up, so be sure to watch the video to make sure success. In case you get pleasure from them, take into account subscribing to the YouTube Channel to not miss an episode. Thanks!
Soak glass noodles in room temp water till pliable – about 7-10 minutes, although this may occasionally take longer if the model’s noodles are thicker.
1.4 oz dry glass noodles
In the meantime, pound the garlic, peppercorns and cilantro stems right into a superb paste in a mortar and pestle.
5 cloves garlic, 1 tsp white peppercorns, 6-8 cilantro stems
Put the bottom pork in a mixing bowl and add the herb paste. Add the soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, egg and cornstarch. Knead together with your arms for a couple of minutes till completely blended and the combination turns into thicker than when it began. As soon as prepared, the combination will appear delicate however ought to have the ability to maintain its form; if not, you’ll be able to add a bit extra cornstarch.
1 lb floor pork, 2 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 Tbsp oyster sauce, 1 Tbsp sugar, 1 egg, 3 Tbsp cornstarch
Drain the glass noodles and place them on a towel to soak up extra water. Use scissors to chop the glass noodles into 2-inch items.
Add the glass noodles and chopped inexperienced onions into the combination and blend simply till the noodles are effectively distributed.
1-2 inexperienced onions
Type the meatballs into roughly 1.5 inch balls; tucking in any lengthy items of noodles that protrude out. In case you see any inexperienced onions sitting on the floor you’ll be able to push them inside so they won’t burn or fall off throughout frying – although this isn’t an enormous deal should you don’t have the persistence! If you need, you’ll be able to dip your arms in water and the meatballs is not going to stick with your arms and will likely be smoother, however I choose them to stay to you a bit as they get a extra attention-grabbing tough floor.
Warmth about 1.5 inch of frying oil in a pot or wok to about 325°F. Add the meat balls one after the other; you’ll be able to even crowd them a bit right here as they won’t get oil-soaked even when the temperature drops loads. Allow them to fry for about 20 seconds to agency up and gently stir to verify they’re not sticking. Fry them for about 5-6 minutes, stirring sometimes, till the interior temp is 160°F (71°C) – or you’ll be able to minimize one open to verify doneness. Take away from the oil and drain on a rack or paper towel.
Permit them to chill for about 5 minutes earlier than serving. They’re nice on their very own, however higher with candy chili sauce and a facet of contemporary cucumber.
Thai candy chili sauce, cucumber slices
Energy: 100kcalCarbohydrates: 5gProtein: 5gFats: 6gSaturated Fats: 2gPolyunsaturated Fats: 1gMonounsaturated Fats: 3gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 31mgSodium: 115mgPotassium: 95mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 24IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 10mgIron: 1mg