Flaky, buttery croissant bread requires time, precision, and endurance, however is a really rewarding baking venture that can make your kitchen odor like a French boulangerie. (And is there any higher odor than recent bread?) I do know making do-it-yourself pastry can appear intimidating, however I totally break down the method for you, step-by-step, within the tutorial beneath. Any residence baker—like me otherwise you—can accomplish this.
What’s Croissant Bread?
Croissant bread is strictly what it feels like: croissant dough baked as bread. My inspiration for this recipe was this croissant loaf on Food52, however I used a scaled-down model of my very own do-it-yourself croissants dough to provide simply 1 loaf. Although I can’t promise how lengthy your loaf will final… it doesn’t final lengthy in my home! The opposite distinction in my croissant bread recipe is we’re going to roll up the dough first, after which reduce into rolls, as an alternative of slicing strips and individually rolling them.
The result’s a powerful loaf model of everybody’s favourite yeasted pastry, which smells and tastes like a croissant, however slices like bread. Unimaginable by itself, however attempt it as a grilled cheese, BLT, toasted with jam, or in your favourite strata recipe or French toast casserole!
Croissant Bread Particulars
- Texture: The feel of this croissant bread is melt-in-your-mouth gentle and tender, with a crispy, flaky crust. As a result of it’s baked as bread in a loaf pan, it’s not fairly as layered and crust-shattery (technical phrases) as croissants, however it’s nonetheless very ethereal.
- Taste: Blissfully buttery and barely candy—simply attempt to preserve your eyes from closing once you style this, I’m unsure it’s attainable!
- Ease: The good information is that making croissant bread is less complicated than making particular person croissants. It requires no particular components, however it does require 3 rounds of 20-minute refrigerations and a pair of rises. For these causes, I categorize this as an superior baking recipe. However I’m right here to stroll you thru every step. You possibly can completely make this!
- Time: Plan for this recipe to take just below 6 hours, plus some cooling time, which is significantly shorter than 12+ hours for my particular person croissants. There’s resting time between most steps, which suggests more often than not is arms off. To develop all these flaky pastry layers, croissant dough must relaxation within the fridge typically. It likes to nap, if you’ll.
Solely 7 Substances Whole
You want simply 6 easy components for the croissant bread dough: flour, butter, salt, yeast, milk, and sugar. The seventh ingredient is an egg to make an egg wash for brushing excessive to get that shiny golden sheen on the highest of the loaf—very similar to pie crust and stromboli.
What’s Laminated Dough?
Laminating dough is the method of folding butter into dough many instances, which creates a number of alternating layers of butter and dough. (Much like how we make biscuits and tough puff pastry, although at the moment’s dough contains yeast.) When the laminated dough bakes, the butter melts and creates steam. This steam lifts the layers aside, giving us dozens of flaky, ethereal, buttery layers.
In my common croissants and chocolate croissants recipes, we combine butter and flour collectively to make a butter block. With at the moment’s croissant bread recipe, nevertheless, we’re lining items of butter down the dough so there’s no compact butter block wanted.
4 Suggestions for Laminating This Dough
- It’s OK if there are air bubbles within the dough; your rolling pin will pop them.
- If the dough tears and butter is uncovered, simply sprinkle the uncovered butter with flour.
- If the dough is unimaginable to roll, attempt flipping it over. If it’s nonetheless unimaginable to roll, cowl and let it relaxation for five minutes earlier than making an attempt once more, to let the gluten loosen up.
- There are 3 rounds of 20-minute refrigerations. Do NOT lengthen these instances as a result of the yeasted dough will puff up an excessive amount of. The timer is your buddy right here!
Video & Pictures: Methods to Make Croissant Bread
The complete printable recipe is beneath, however this recipe entails fairly a number of steps, so I’m going to stroll you thru it with step-by-step pictures. I’m leaving out pictures of making ready the dough as a result of you’ll be able to see it come collectively within the video tutorial.
Right here is the dough after the first rise after which after you punch it down:
Now it’s time to flatten the dough and put together it for lamination. Gently flatten the dough out into a ten×14-inch (25x35cm) rectangle utilizing calmly floured arms to rigorously stretch the dough. I like to recommend flattening it proper onto a nonstick floor so you’ll be able to actually decide all of it up with out the dough shedding form. Refrigerate this flattened dough for 20 minutes:
After 20 minutes within the fridge, the dough is about as pliable because the butter. Line the butter down the middle third of the dough as pictured:
1st lamination: Fold one facet over the butter:
Fold the opposite facet over that, such as you would fold a enterprise letter:
Rotate the dough so the lengthy edge is going through you:
Roll out right into a 9×12-inch (23x30cm) rectangle. You possibly can see the butter hiding in there:
Fold up like a enterprise letter, cowl, after which chill for 20 minutes:
2nd & third lamination: After refrigerating, repeat lamination course of above 2x with no dough chilling between every—rotate dough, roll out, fold like enterprise letter, rotate dough, roll out, fold like a enterprise letter. After which chill 1 final time for 20 minutes.
Ultimate lamination: After that closing refrigeration, repeat lamination 1x. Then roll out the dough right into a 9×12-inch (23x30cm) rectangle for the final time:
Roll it up like a jelly roll cake or cinnamon rolls dough, ranging from the shorter finish:
Slice into 5 thick rolls. Have a look at all these layers!
Prepare in a greased loaf pan, cowl, and let rise till puffy. Then brush with egg wash earlier than baking:
No Two Loaves Look the Similar
Needless to say your loaf might look precisely like or barely completely different from these pictures. Regardless of following the very same recipe and instructions, a few of my check loaves regarded extra ethereal, or much less flaky, or extra layered. You possibly can see the variability in these pictures. So don’t be discouraged if yours appears to be like completely different… simply wait till you TASTE it!
Bakers of any talent degree can use this totally detailed recipe to make a fantastically flaky and golden brown loaf of do-it-yourself croissant bread. There are 3 rounds of 20-minute refrigerations. Don’t break up the lamination steps and don’t lengthen the refrigeration instances as a result of the dough will start to over-expand.
- 1 cup (240ml) entire milk, warmed to about 110°F (43°C)
- 2 and 1/4 teaspoons (7g) on the spot or lively dry yeast (1 customary packet, see Notes)
- 3 Tablespoons (38g) granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 Tablespoons (43g) unsalted or salted butter, softened to room temperature and reduce into 3 equal items
- 3 cups (375g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled), plus extra as wanted and for lamination
- 3/4 cup (1.5 sticks; 170g) salted butter, barely softened (see Notes)
- 1 giant egg, chilly or room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon (15ml) water
- Preliminary notes: Watch the video tutorial and use the step-by-step pictures earlier than you start. Learn the recipe directions and notes earlier than starting. Make room within the fridge in your half baking sheet for steps 6–9.
- Put together the dough: In a big ungreased mixing bowl, whisk the nice and cozy milk, yeast, and sugar collectively within the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment. Cowl and permit combination to take a seat for about 5 minutes or till foamy on high. *If you don’t personal a mixer, you are able to do this in a big mixing bowl and within the subsequent step, combine the dough along with a big wood spoon/rubber spatula. A hand mixer works, however the sticky dough repeatedly will get caught within the beaters. Mixing by hand with a wood spoon or rubber spatula is a better option.*
- Add the salt, butter, and a pair of cups (250g) of flour. Beat on medium pace for two minutes, stopping and scraping down the bowl as wanted to assist the combination mix. There should be chunks of butter– that’s okay. Add remaining flour, scrape down the bowl as wanted, and beat on low pace till a gentle dough kinds and pulls away from the perimeters of the bowl. Dough will likely be very gentle, however not overly sticky. Beat in 2–3 extra Tablespoons of flour if dough appears very sticky. Keep away from including extra flour than you want.
- Knead the dough: Hold the dough within the mixer and beat on low pace for an extra 3 minutes, or knead by hand on a calmly floured floor for 3 minutes.
- 1st rise: Frivolously grease a big bowl with oil or use nonstick spray. Place the dough within the bowl, turning it to coat all sides of the dough within the oil. Cowl the bowl with aluminum foil, plastic wrap, or a clear kitchen towel. Enable the dough to rise in a comparatively heat atmosphere for 1.5–2 hours or till almost double in dimension. (For a tiny discount in rise time, see my reply to The place Ought to Dough Rise? in my Baking with Yeast Information.)
- Flatten dough: Punch down the dough to launch the air. Place dough on a silicone baking mat-lined, parchment paper-lined, or calmly floured baking sheet. (I extremely advocate a silicone baking mat as a result of you’ll be able to roll the dough out within the subsequent steps straight on high and it received’t slide all around the counter.) Gently flatten the dough out into a ten×14-inch (25x35cm) rectangle utilizing calmly floured arms to rigorously stretch, however not tear, the dough. Frivolously cowl and place all the baking sheet within the fridge, and permit the coated dough to relaxation and chill for 20 minutes. Don’t lengthen this time.
- In the meantime, put together for lamination: Reduce the salted butter into 1/4-inch thick slices and, as defined within the recipe notice beneath, make certain the butter isn’t overly gentle. It’s necessary to notice the next 4 ideas earlier than you start laminating in steps 8, 9, & 10: (1) It’s OK if there are air bubbles within the dough as a result of your rolling pin will pop them. (2) If the dough tears and butter is uncovered, simply sprinkle the uncovered butter with flour. (3) If the dough is unimaginable to roll, attempt flipping it over. If it’s nonetheless unimaginable to roll, cowl and let it relaxation for five minutes earlier than making an attempt once more, to let the gluten loosen up. And (4) Don’t lengthen the refrigeration instances, as a result of the folded dough will start to over-expand.
- 1st lamination: Take away dough from the fridge and set baking sheet apart. I prefer to preserve the dough on the silicone baking mat after I’m rolling it as a result of the mat is nonstick. Working with the longer (14-inch) edge in entrance of you, line butter down the middle of the dough, masking the middle third of the dough. Fold one dough edge over on high of butter, and fold different edge on high of that (like folding a enterprise letter). Pinch/seal the 2 quick ends to surround butter inside. Rotate dough so the lengthy edge is horizontally in entrance of you. Frivolously flour the highest of the folded dough and, utilizing a calmly floured rolling pin, roll out to a 9×12-inch (23x30cm) rectangle. Fold dough edges over on high like folding a enterprise letter. Cowl dough, place again on baking sheet, and refrigerate 20 minutes. Don’t lengthen this time.
- 2nd & third laminations: Take away dough from the fridge and set baking sheet apart. Rotate dough so the lengthy edge is horizontally in entrance of you. Frivolously flour the highest of the folded dough and, utilizing a calmly floured rolling pin, roll out to a 9×12-inch rectangle. Fold dough edges over on high like folding a enterprise letter. Rotate dough horizontally and repeat rolling out to 9×12 inches and folding like a enterprise letter. Cowl dough, place again on baking sheet, and refrigerate 20 minutes. Don’t lengthen this time.
- Ultimate lamination & shaping: Take away dough from the fridge and set baking sheet apart. Rotate dough so the lengthy edge is horizontally in entrance of you. Frivolously flour the highest of the folded dough and utilizing a calmly floured rolling pin, roll out to a 9×12-inch rectangle. Fold dough edges over on high like folding a enterprise letter. For the final time, rotate horizontally and roll out to 9×12 inches. Working from a 9-inch facet, roll dough up such as you would roll up a jelly roll cake or cinnamon rolls. Place 9-inch go online a slicing board and reduce into 5 even rolls (simply eyeball it, they don’t have to be completely even).
- 2nd rise: Grease a 9×5-inch (23x13cm) loaf pan. Place rolls, seam facet down, in loaf pan. Cowl tightly and permit to rise till barely puffy, about 45–60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Whisk egg wash components collectively. Generously brush risen rolls/loaf with egg wash. Bake loaf for 1 hour till golden brown on high, loosely tenting with aluminum foil after 25 minutes to stop the highest from over-browning earlier than the middle can cook dinner. For an correct check of doneness, the bread is completed when an instant-read thermometer reads the middle of the loaf as 195°F (90°C). (Tip: Needless to say the bread will proceed to cook dinner for a couple of minutes because it cools.)
- Take away from the oven and place loaf pan on a wire rack. Cool for half-hour within the loaf pan. Run a knife across the edges of the pan to launch the bread, after which take away bread from loaf pan and funky a minimum of 15 extra minutes straight on a wire rack earlier than slicing and serving. (Bread tends to crumble when sliced heat.) Bread might barely deflate because it cools.
- Storing & freezing baked bread: Cowl and retailer leftover croissant bread coated at room temperature for as much as 3 days or within the fridge for as much as 1 week. It’s also possible to freeze it for as much as 3 months after which thaw on the counter or in a single day within the fridge. Heat as much as your liking.
- In a single day Dough Directions: After step 10, cowl the formed rolls within the loaf pan tightly and refrigerate for as much as about 15 hours. Not less than 3 hours earlier than you want the bread the following day, take away from the fridge, preserve coated, and permit to rise on the counter for about 1–2 hours earlier than baking. Alternatively, you’ll be able to let the dough have its 1st rise (step 5) within the fridge in a single day. Cowl the dough tightly and place within the fridge for as much as 12 hours. Take away from the fridge and permit the dough to completely rise for two extra hours. Proceed with step 6.
- Freezing Dough Directions: One of the simplest ways to efficiently freeze and thaw this dough is after step 10. (Freezing/thawing earlier than makes lamination tough.) Cowl and freeze formed dough loaf (after step 10) for as much as 3 months. Thaw within the fridge a minimum of 3 hours earlier than you want the bread, take away from the fridge, preserve coated, and permit to rise on the counter for about 1–2 hours earlier than baking.
- Milk: Entire milk is good, however you’ll be able to swap a lower-fat or non-dairy milk. Keep away from nonfat milk.
- Yeast: You need to use lively dry or on the spot yeast on this recipe. Observe all the similar directions. If utilizing lively dry yeast, the rise instances are often *barely* longer, however not a lot. Reference my Baking with Yeast Information for solutions to frequent yeast FAQs.
- Butter: You need to use both unsalted or salted butter within the dough, however you should definitely use salted butter within the lamination step. The butter within the dough could be softened to room temperature, even overly softened is ok. Nonetheless, the butter for the lamination does require your consideration. It’s necessary to make certain your lamination butter isn’t too chilly/arduous and also you don’t need it too greasy/gentle both, as a result of it must be about as pliable because the dough to include into it. Typically I take advantage of a cooking thermometer simply to verify what temperature my butter and dough are for the lamination step, and it’s excellent they each register *round* 60°F (15°C). Being about the identical temperature helps the butter and the dough laminate simply.
- Can I Halve or Double This Recipe? No. Observe the dough recipe exactly as written. If 1 loaf is an excessive amount of, freeze any extras. If you would like 2 loaves, make the dough 2x individually.
- Can I Add a Filling? I attempted jam and cinnamon sugar (1/4 teaspoon cinnamon with 2 Tbsp granulated sugar). The one one which labored pretty effectively was the cinnamon sugar. Something moist like jam will create an excessive amount of moisture and the underside of the loaf doesn’t bake very effectively. Plus, you want quite a bit to essentially style it, which makes rolling up the dough pretty messy and tough. You possibly can completely attempt including one thing dry just like the cinnamon sugar, chopped nuts, and even chocolate chips! Unfold a skinny layer on the dough earlier than rolling it up right into a log in step 10.
Key phrases: Croissant Bread
Methods to Be part of the April Sally’s Baking Problem
Make the croissant bread. In case you aren’t into this recipe, right here is the alternate baking problem recipe:
- Any earlier problem recipe you haven’t made but OR
- Chocolate Coconut Almond Tart (gf, vegan, beautiful for Passover)
After you make the bread or alternate recipe, electronic mail us your recipe photograph. For a bonus entry, go away a evaluate on the recipe beneath.
By emailing your recipe photograph to us, you’re robotically entered within the baking problem. 1 winner receives a $250 Amazon Present Card. The problem is open to the entire world. Problem ends on April thirtieth at 5pm Jap. The winner will likely be chosen at random, emailed their prize, and posted within the Could Baking Problem weblog put up on Could 1st.
Go to the Sally’s Baking Problem web page in case you have any questions on Sally’s Baking Problem.
Sally’s Baking Problem
I publish a brand new problem recipe on the first of every month. Be part of the Sally’s Baking Problem electronic mail checklist (separate from my common electronic mail checklist) so that you by no means miss a problem recipe or announcement.