Are you able to freeze cucumbers? Surprisingly, you can–and it’s so a lot simpler than you would possibly suppose!
Cucumbers aren’t possible the very first thing that involves thoughts if you end up eager about meals you may freeze. Nonetheless, offered you understand how to freeze cucumbers correctly, you may retailer them for a really very long time and there are some actually fascinating methods to do it. Plus you may LOVE the entire issues you are able to do with frozen cucumbers.
It is nice that cucumbers are one of many best crops to develop as a newbie, even when you do not have a lot area, however you may simply find yourself with manner too many in your fingers after a bumper crop.
Now, you may give tons away to your neighbors and feed your loved ones cucumbers each day for a month. The neighbors will respect you, however your loved ones is probably going going to get fed up with cucumber salad, and limitless tzatziki dip.
The best option to cope with this downside is to learn to freeze cucumbers and to do it the precise manner. This is how!
Ought to You Peel Cucumbers?
To start with, do you have to peel cucumbers or if it is higher to go away the pores and skin on.
In an ideal world, you should not peel cucumbers, for the reason that pores and skin incorporates quite a lot of vitamins, nevertheless, except your cucumbers are natural, otherwise you’ve grown them your self with out pesticides, or bought them from a top quality CSA / farmers market, then it is best to peel your cucumbers.
The U.S. Division of Agriculture at one level apparently discovered greater than 35 pesticides on the frequent cucumber. (supply) On this website you may see a few of the names of the poisonous chemical substances that could be lurking in your cucumbers. This publish about pesticides on strawberries addresses this concern in additional element.
Apart from pesticides, even should you purchase natural cucumbers from the shop you most likely ought to take into account peeling them.
Due to wax!
I used to be fairly shocked to be taught that store-bought cucumbers (even natural ones) are prone to have a wax coating.
Wax helps hold the moisture in and promotes an extended shelf life, nevertheless it’s still–wax.
Fortuitously, should you purchase natural cucumbers, the USDA labeling legal guidelines state that the coating must be a non-synthetic wax.
Backside line–if you purchase typical cucumbers from the shop then I like to recommend peeling to keep away from consuming artificial wax along with dangerous pesticides.
Well being Advantages of Cucumber
Cucumbers are about 90% water which makes them robust to freeze–and as such, you may not suppose they’re very nutritious, however they’re!
- A serving of 1 cup of cucumbers has simply 16 energy and 1 gram of fiber.
- Cucumbers are wealthy in vitamins reminiscent of Vitamin C, Potassium, Manganese and Magnesium.
- One cup of cucumber has a whopping 62% of your every day Vitamin Ok requirement.
- Cucumbers are excessive in antioxidants reminiscent of beta carotene and flavonoids.
- Cucumbers are low in carbs in order that they’re nice for individuals who observe a keto weight loss program
- Due to their excessive water content material, cucumbers assist hold you hydrated.
How Lengthy Do Cucumbers Final within the Freezer?
Executed correctly, frozen cucumbers can last as long as 6 months or extra within the freezer.
Observe: all the time you’ll want to label frozen meals with the date that you simply froze it. In any other case you may have quite a lot of freezer burn in your fingers!
These dissolvable freezer labels are fascinating, however there are cheaper choices.
Painter’s Tape! Simply tear off a chunk and put the merchandise and date on with a sharpie. The tape would not have a tendency to stay on containers!
Or use my Favourite DIY frugal model – merely write on a small piece of paper and tape it on with regular scotch tape. Plus you may ditch the Sharpie toxins (which incorporates endocrine disruptors)!
When storing frozen cucumbers, air isn’t your buddy.
Meals Saver is a good way to go, or you should utilize the “Poor Man’s Meals Saver” technique:
- put the frozen cukes in a bag
- insert a straw within the bag
- shut the bag many of the manner
- press as a lot air out of the bag as doable
- suck the air out the bag, then
- pull the straw out and shut the bag shortly.
Can You Freeze Cucumber Slices?
Sure you may, however there are a number of methods to do it.
You can even freeze cucumber spears, chunks, or dices utilizing both technique however the spears will freeze finest should you take away the seeds and the encircling flesh first.
A technique is the plain freezing manner. Nonetheless, one of the best ways is to do a fast brine soak first. It will hold the cucumbers crunchy. Both manner works, however if you need your cucumbers to be crispy after thawing, then the brine manner is finest.
Plain Freezing Technique
- Wash cucumbers nicely.
- Slice cucumbers. A mandoline slicer makes slicing a breeze.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Place the cucumber slices in a single layer on the baking tray.
- Put the tray into the freezer for two to three hours.
- Put the frozen slices right into a reusable freezer bag or plastic container. These Resealable BPA Free Baggage – are so versatile and far much less wasteful than Ziploc baggage.
Brine Freezing Technique
- Wash cucumbers nicely.
- Slice the cucumbers into equal slices to make about 8 cups of slices.
- Place the cucumber slices in a bowl with 2 Tablespoons of salt.
- Let the cucumbers sit out for about 2 hours.
- Drain and rinse the cucumbers.
- Put the cucumbers again in a bowl, and add about 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar, 2/3 cup olive oil or avocado oil, 1/3 cup sugar or low-carb sweetener, and 1 teaspoon celery seed (optionally available).
- Refrigerate combination in a single day.
- Freeze the brine and cucumbers in mason jars or one other freezer-friendly inflexible container with at the least 1 inch of head area for growth.
- Freeze for at the least per week earlier than thawing and consuming.
Associated Article: The Greatest Method to Freeze Avocados
Methods to Make Cucumber Ice Cubes
Along with freezing cucumber slices, cubes, or spears, making cucumber ice cubes is one other nice option to freeze cucumbers.
You may select pureed, sliced, or cubed, relying on the way you want to use your cucumbers.
Pureed: Merely add the recent cucumber and a small quantity of chilly water (if wanted) to a meals processor. Mix till easy. Pour the cucumber puree into the ice dice trays (add some lemon juice if desired) and place within the freezer.
This technique is nice if you are going to use the cucumber in soups, smoothies, or sorbets (or face masks, for that matter!)
Sliced or Cubed : One other thought is to slice cucumber thinly, then put the slices in an ice dice tray (you may add issues like rosemary (pictured) or lemon items as nicely) and fill with water. You may find yourself with some fancy-looking ice cubes that are nice for get together drinks.
You might nonetheless use this technique for making smoothies and such, however they’re so fairly that you’re going to possible need to use them for cucumber water and fancy drinks.
Now you may have cucumber detox water ice cubes any time you need!
You probably have a tough time consuming water (like I do) having cucumber ice cubes on the prepared helps me lots and the style makes you’re feeling such as you’re having a day on the spa.
Methods to Thaw Frozen Cucumbers
You must all the time defrost cucumbers within the fridge. It is going to often take between six and eight hours, so you may must plan forward.
Put your frozen cucumbers into a big bowl within the fridge.
As soon as the cucumbers are thawed, drain off the surplus water (if desired) and so they’re prepared to make use of. Should you’ll be utilizing the cucumbers in a sorbet, smoothie, or soup, then you may possible use the water within the recipe as nicely.
Do not thaw cucumbers out on the counter at room temperature. Though the probabilities are low that you’re going to get ailing, it is not the most secure technique.
Should you froze your cucumbers chopped or pureed in ice dice trays, you may put them straight within the blender or pot to make soups, or into your blender to make juice or smoothies.
One factor that you simply completely should not do is to defrost cucumbers within the microwave, that’s except you need to spend the remainder of the day cleansing mushy cucumber mess off the partitions of your microwave!
Associated Article: Can You Actually Freeze Tomatoes?
Can You Freeze Pickles?
You may freeze pickles if you would like, however I am unsure that it is actually definitely worth the time, or value taking over freezer area to take action since pickles final a very long time on the shelf.
Some say that it makes your pickles extra crunchy than once they’re not frozen, so if that further crunch is value it to you, then by all means, do it. Simply be sure that to go away round a 1/2″ hole on the prime of your Mason Jar or different air-tight container in your pickles to permit for growth.
Frozen pickles ought to final between 9 and 12 months.
How To Use Frozen Cucumbers
You should use the brine-frozen cucumbers just about any manner you employ common cucumbers–they actually do retain their crunch fairly nicely.
Nonetheless, should you’re trying to make use of frozen cucumbers (the not brined manner) for a tasty sandwich you’re most probably to be upset for the reason that texture is not going to be fairly the identical.
Due to the change in texture, it is best to solely use non-brined frozen cucumbers in inexperienced juices, smoothies, chilled soups, cucumber water, or just including them as taste to your drinks.
However by no means concern. Even should you do not need to trouble with the brining, there are nonetheless some nice methods to make use of these crunchless cukes.
Following are some methods to make use of both sort of frozen cucumber, however they’ll all work for the non-brined sort.
- Infused Water: One of many best methods to make use of frozen cucumbers is to make infused water. This is really easy with a jug water infuser or perhaps a water bottle with its personal infuser. If you wish to add some further zing add some lemon juice.
- Inexperienced Juice and Smoothies: Cucumbers add glorious vitamin to inexperienced juice and smoothies. Since you are going to be mixing them, the lower than perfect texture of the frozen cucumber will not make any distinction.
- Face Masks: You may even use frozen cucumber for a cucumber facial masks. Merely puree the cucumber in a blender and pressure via a sieve to take away extra water. Or you may simply defrost some cucumber puree cubes! Put this recent face masks or cubes on and luxuriate in for round quarter-hour earlier than rinsing. Your pores and skin will adore it!
- Eye Rescue: Frozen cucumber slices are additionally nice for soothing drained or irritated eyes. Simply place a frozen slice on every eye and go away for 15 to twenty minutes.
- Chilled Cucumber Soup: Chilly soup would possibly sound odd, nevertheless it’s really nice!
- Cucumber Dip: Merely defrost some cucumber puree cubes and use in your favourite cucumber dip recipe.
- Cucumber Sorbet: Search for a recipe on-line or just put some frozen cucumber in your excessive powered blender with some water or coconut milk (if wanted) and a few sweetener, and voila–you’ll have recent and nutritious dessert!
Methods to Freeze Cucumbers
Freezing Cucumbers is a good way to protect your harvest. Learn how to freeze cucumbers, together with one of the best ways to do it, together with a lot of suggestions for utilization!
- 6 medium cucumbers (about 8 cups sliced)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2/3 cup avocado oil (or further virgin olive oil or different mild oil)
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup low carb sweetener (or sugar or different sweetener, as desired)
- 1 medium chopped onion (optionally available)
- 1 teaspoon celery salt (optionally available)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seed (optionally available)
Wash cucumbers nicely.
Slice cucumbers into equal slices to make about 8 cups of slices.
Place the cucumber slices in a bowl with 2 Tablespoons of salt. Cowl.
Let sit for about 2 hours.
Drain and rinse the cucumbers.
Put the cucumbers again within the bowl. Add the vinegar, oil, sweetener, onion and spices, if utilizing.
Freeze the brine-soaked cucumbers in mason jars or different freezer-friendly inflexible containers, leaving at the least 1 inch of head area for growth.
Freeze for at the least per week earlier than thawing and consuming.
Dietary info is offered as a courtesy and is merely an approximation. Elective elements usually are not included and when there may be another, the first ingredient is often used. We can not assure the accuracy of the dietary info given for any recipe on this website. Erythritol carbs usually are not included in carb counts since they’ve been proven to not affect blood sugar. Internet carbs are the overall carbs minus fiber.
Now that you understand how to freeze cucumbers which technique(s) are you going to strive?