Creamy, crumbly, and refreshing, these oatmeal lemon crumble bars come along with a easy crumb crust and a 2 ingredient lemon filling. In case you love lemon bars however are searching for a bit of extra texture, you gained’t remorse making a batch!
I initially printed these lemon crumble bars again in 2012. When making these a decade in the past, I used store-bought cookie combine for the crust and topping. Whereas cookie combine makes a fast and helpful shortcut, I want these bars with a from-scratch crumble… and I believe you’ll too!
At present I’m exhibiting you my do-it-yourself variation and I promise they’re practically simply as straightforward. The oatmeal lemon crumble bars have a means of not making it out of the kitchen, however ought to any survive your taste-testing, they stack and retailer simply for gift-giving, bake gross sales, and brunches!
Why You’ll Love These Oatmeal Lemon Crumble Bars
- Solely 9 straightforward components whole
- Crust and topping are produced from the identical combination
- From mixing bowls to oven in quarter-hour
- Altogether creamy, crumbly, mushy, & crisp
- Like oatmeal cookies & lemon bars mixed– surprisingly, this taste duo works!
- Stack simply for storing, transporting, & gifting
- One other egg-free baking recipe
And be happy to swap in lime juice & zest for the lemon!
You Want 9 Elements Complete:
- 7 for the crust & crumble topping: Like fig bars and cranberry bars, the crust and topping are produced from the identical combination. So handy! Begin with butter and brown sugar, after which add vanilla extract earlier than mixing in flour, baking powder, salt, and oats.
- 2 for the creamy lemon filling: You want sweetened condensed milk and lemons to make the lemon filling– that’s it! Have you ever ever tried my creamy lemon pie? I truly tailored that recipe from as we speak’s filling. Sweetened condensed milk is the bottom of this filling and because it bakes, it thickens and takes on a barely caramelized taste. (Like when making dulce de leche for banoffee pie!) Not like the lemon pie, we don’t want any eggs within the filling as a result of we aren’t searching for fairly as a lot construction– the crumble topping holds every thing in place!
Let Me Present You How These Come Collectively
Pictured under on the left: Carry the crumble combination collectively and don’t get nervous if it appears dry or crumbly.
Pictured under on the best: Press half of the combination right into a lined 8-inch pan and bake it for 12 minutes so the crust can set.
Count on a really thick lemon filling. I truly add a bit of extra lemon juice than the unique recipe and the printable recipe under displays that change. Pour and unfold the filling on the nice and cozy crust after which sprinkle with remaining crumble combination. That’s it! Your prep work is completed.
3 Success Ideas
Although it’s a very easy recipe, listed below are 3 success ideas which have helped me excellent these creamy lemon bars.
- Don’t pack the crust in too tight: When urgent the combination into your lined pan, keep away from packing it in too tight. If the crust may be very agency even earlier than baking, think about how dense it is going to be after baking. Press the combination down very evenly along with your fingers or the underside of a measuring cup.
- Use a citrus zester: Lemon zest carries plenty of taste within the lemon filling. In case you want a suggestion for a zester, I take advantage of and love (affiliate hyperlink) this zester.
- Keep away from over-baking: It may be tough to find out when the bars are achieved, however err on the aspect of under-baking. And understand that the bars will proceed to set as they cool. If over-baked, the crust and edges will likely be fairly agency. As soon as the absolutely assembled bars go within the oven, they take about 23-25 minutes.
And lastly, you want an (affiliate hyperlink) 8-inch pan for these creamy lemon bars. Stretching the recipe right into a 9-inch pan yields very skinny bars, so I don’t suggest that measurement.
These straightforward lemon crumble bars function an oatmeal crust, thick and creamy lemon filling, and extra oatmeal crumble on high.
Crust & Topping
- 6 Tablespoons (85g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150g) packed gentle or darkish brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (85g) old school complete oats or fast oats (not on the spot)
- 1 (14 ounce weight) can full-fat sweetened condensed milk
- 6 Tablespoons (90ml) lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line an 8-inch sq. pan with parchment paper.
- For the crust/topping: Utilizing a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and brown sugar collectively on medium-high pace till mixed, about 1 minute. Scrape down the perimeters and up the underside of the bowl with a rubber spatula after which add the vanilla extract. Beat on medium-high pace till mixed, about 30 seconds. Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and oats. Beat on medium pace till mixed. Scrape down the perimeters and up the underside of the bowl and beat once more as wanted to mix. Combination will seem dry and be crumbly. You should have between 3-3.5 cups of crust/crumble combination.
- Evenly press half of crumble combination into backside of ready baking pan. Bake for 12 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the lemon filling: Whisk sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest collectively. Combination will likely be thick.
- Pour and unfold filling over pre-baked crust (whereas crust is scorching). Sprinkle the remaining crumble combination on high.
- Return bars to the oven and bake for 22-25 minutes or till edges are very evenly browned and seem set. Keep away from over-baking. Take away from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack. Cool bars utterly.
- Raise the bars out utilizing the parchment paper overhang on the perimeters. Minimize into squares.
- Cowl leftover bars and retailer at room temperature for as much as 2 days or within the fridge for as much as 1 week.
- Freezing Directions: Freeze minimize bars in single layers between sheets of parchment paper in a freezer-friendly container for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge and convey to room temperature earlier than having fun with.
- Recipe up to date in 2022. Older model used 1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker oatmeal cookie combine for the crust & topping. Minimize 1/2 cup (115g) chilly unsalted butter into cookie combine with a pastry cutter after which stir in 1 egg. This combination changed the do-it-yourself crust & topping recipe above. Proceed with step 3 above.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk: Ensure you are utilizing sweetened condensed milk, not evaporated milk. There aren’t any profitable replacements for sweetened condensed milk on this specific recipe– it’s actually the important thing ingredient. (Typically half-and-half or heavy cream works as a substitution, however you then’ll have to check with various quantities of sugar since each are unsweetened.) Use one 14 ounce can full-fat sweetened condensed milk. Don’t use fats free as a result of the filling is not going to set. Understand that 14 ounces is the listed weight on the can. 1 commonplace 14 ounce can is a bit of over 1 liquid cup.
- Can I Double This Recipe? Sure. Double every ingredient. Enhance crust pre-bake time to 18 minutes. Enhance the bake time after including the filling & crumble topping to 35 minutes or till edges are evenly browned and seem set.
Key phrases: oatmeal lemon crumble bars
Baking Made Simple
Are you new to this web site? This electronic mail sequence is a superb place to start out. I’ll stroll you thru just a few of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.