Recent uncured ham makes an exquisite vacation roast, tender and marbled however not fatty. Oranges, with their clear, citrusy spark, are a superb foil for the pork’s richness. The recipe first appeared alongside writer Margo True’s 1999 story “The Bizarre Orange.”
Roasted Recent Ham with Orange Glaze
Oranges, with their clear, citrusy spark, are a superb foil for the ham’s wealthy style.
Yield: serves 15-20
- 1 contemporary bone-in ham (15–20 lb.), powerful outer pores and skin trimmed
- 7 garlic cloves, sliced ¼-in. thick
- Kosher salt and freshly floor black pepper
- 2¼ cups contemporary orange juice, divided
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 4 lb. shallots, peeled
- Place a rack within the decrease third of the oven and preheat to 325°F. Utilizing a knife, rating the pork’s exterior to make a diamond sample. With the tip of the knife, make small incisions all around the ham and insert 1 garlic slice in every slit as you go. Season the meat throughout with salt and black pepper, place it in a big Dutch oven, and bake for two hours. Switch the ham to a plate and place the Dutch oven on the range. (Maintain the oven on.)
- To the empty Dutch oven, add ¼ cup of the orange juice and the orange marmalade and mustard. Flip the warmth to medium-low and prepare dinner for 10 minutes, stirring continuously. Return the ham to the Dutch oven and use a brush to cowl it with the glaze. Scatter the shallots across the ham, add the remaining orange juice, and bake, basting each half-hour, till the ham is browned and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest a part of the meat reads 170°F, 3–4 hours extra. Let the ham relaxation for 20 minutes.
- To serve, switch the ham to a reducing board. Carve thick slices perpendicular to the bone, and accompany with the roasted shallots and pan juices.